Increased mobile data allowances for children and young people
To support students with accessing home learning resources during the current national lockdown the Department for Education (DFE) are piloting a scheme to increase mobile data allowances for children and young people.
To support students with accessing home learning resources during the current national lockdown the Department for Education (DFE) are piloting a scheme to increase mobile data allowances for children and young people. The scheme is open to families that meet the following criteria:
- Do not have access to a fixed broadband connection.
- Cannot afford the additional data needed to access educational resources or social care services.
- Have access to a mobile device that uses a participating network (networks stated below).
- Are facing disruption to their face-to-face education or have been advised not to attend school.
The mobile networks that are taking part within this scheme are shown below, along with the specific details of the allowances they are offering.
If you would like to take up the offer and meet the eligibility criteria for the scheme, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Account holders name for the device
- Mobile phone number
- Mobile network (must be one of those stated above)
- If the mobile is pay monthly or pay as you go
The details above will then be uploaded to the DFE website for processing. Additional information about the timescales for the data allowance to be added to the account will be shared with you individually.
Privacy statement: Department for Education (January 2021)
Please share the following privacy statement with:
- the adult account holder for the mobile device
- the parent or carer of the person benefiting from the offer, if they’re under 13
- the person benefiting from the offer, if they’re 13 or over
- For the purposes of data protection, I need to let you know that the Department for Education (DfE) is running the Mobile Network Offer through schools and their trusts or local authorities.
- If the offer is taken up by an adult account holder, the school or social care team will share the account holder’s name and mobile phone details with the DfE, who will share these with the relevant mobile network operator.
- The mobile network operator will use that information to increase the data available for the account holder’s mobile device, as long as they qualify for the offer.
- The adult account holder’s personal data is only shared with their mobile network operator for the purposes of the offer. No names of children or other adults, other than adult account holder, are shared with the DfE or the mobile network operator.
- No personal information will be shared with the DfE if you do not want to take up the offer.
- If you want to know more about how your personal information will be used before you take up the offer, we can send that to you first.
- If you decide to take up the offer, you will get a text message from the Department for Education with more information about your data protection rights.
Further information about the scheme can be found at the following website address:
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Mr J Foster
Date Published: 06 Jan 2021